Monday 22 May 2017

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 23 May 2017 - T for coffee and a beetle

Hi folks,

It's Tuesday again and we are joining the T-party at Elizabeth and Bleubeard.

I have been AWOL last week. Reason being that I have had no end of computer problems. My main desk top is infected with a virus or malware and had stopped working all together. My computer chappie couldn't look at it until Thursday evening. (It's still not 100%).
I have a laptop too. That had been to the computer doctor to be reformatted etc. as I'm doing this course learning how to use Adobe Lightroom (to do with photography). The course tutor offered to take my laptop home with him so he could download the Lightroom programme for me. He would do it that same evening... yeah, right.... I had to wait 5 days! And that included Tuesday's T-party! 
But hey, here I am. 

Let's start with my postcard. I found this one which I received from Taiwan some time ago. Two owls. But look closely......

The owls are made of coffee beans, their eyes are coffee cups and they have sugar cubes on their body. Isn't that fun! I thought it would be perfect for the T-party.

We had some visitors this week from South Africa (Jeffreys Bay).  They work for the charity Global Challenge ExpeditionsThey normally work in the coffee shop and there they roast their own coffee and have different types of coffee from different countries. I would call them connaiseurs. Although they were back packing they had their favorite coffee beans with them and carried a portable coffee grinder:
Nifty isn't it? Then they made the coffee in a 'push-me-down' type of coffee maker:
The top half is filled with coffee and hot water. Then after a minute or so he turned the thing upside down and pushed the whole top half down with force. 
I had never seen anyting like it! And it tasted very good (of course).

Our friends also spent time singing and playing the guitar and mandolin.

Saturday I baked a cake (like I do every Saturday). This time I made a blackberry cream cheese crumb cake (from Sally's baking addiction on the internet)
It turned out very well considering it was the first time I did this one. Someone took a picture of me trying to photograph the cake as it was being cut.
It's nice to see the different layers. I had a large jar of black berries from last summer. I only used a quarter of a jar and I suppose I will have to quickly make some other things with it. Meanwhile, have a piece before it all disappears!

We went for a walk with our visitors and saw these flowers along the wall. Quite pretty.

And we saw this creature. I have no idea what it is. It was the size of my thumb:
We thought it might be a queen beetle of some sort looking for a nesting location. It has legs, but I can't remember how many. Does anyone have any ideas?

That's it from me for today. 
Happy T-Day,
Blessings,
Lisca

16 comments:

  1. Hope your computers are all back to working order soon. Your postcard is lovely and perfect for T Day, it's so much fun with the owls being made from coffee beans, coffee cups and sugar cubes :-) . The blackberry cream cheese crumb cake looks so yummy with all those delicious layers - Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect postcard for T Day Lisca, as well as the special compact coffee maker-love it!!! That, the cake and singing with guitar and mandolin-OK but with wine too-my kind of evening:) Such a unique looking beetle-never saw anything like it. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you and computer problems. I worry about this new virus that takes over your computer and won't let you use it until you pay money to get it unfrozen. So I am glad you are at least partly back on track computer wise.

    I absolutely adore the wise owls. They are actually the perfect addition for T day. Of course, I enjoyed reading about your friends with what looked like a miniature French Press. And the portable grinder sounds like something I would appreciate when the power is off in my area.

    Your cake looks lovely, and I bet it tasted equally good.

    As for the bug, all I can say is, I don't do bugs, and this looks like one I would gladly avoid.

    Thanks for sharing your week with us, including your adorable owl postcard, your friends from South Africa, your gorgeous cake, and your coffee for T this Tuesday.

    Glad you are back. We missed you last week, even though you were kind enough to let us know your dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks yummy. I can't wait to get enough energy to get baking. I have a cake in mind I want to make. That is some kind of insect, but I don't know what. I think some kind of beetle too. Some beetles can get huge. Sorry to hear about your computer and hope it gets mended soon. Happy T Day Lisca. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read about that beetle some time time back, it's a megetra cancellata, sometimes called a football beetle, you can look it up on the net. LOVE that coffee owl, and I love people who take their own coffee and machine with them, that's dedication. Sorry about the computer problems, not thing I like. The cake looks wonderful. Sour cherries, prunus cerasus, are very dark ones which are not sweet, get used here a lot in cooking and baking. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a clever owl for tsft:) i´m sure i´d love this cake, sounds very yummy. and for the beetle... never seen one like this, but i looked up valerie´s Suggestion and it is very interesting.
    have a great week and happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisca. A very interesting post. I love the coffee bean owls. Your cake looks delicious. I agree with Valerie's identification for your beetle, though the same picture comes up on the oil beetle page! They are not to be touched as they excrete an oily substance that can cause blisters. I found some here once and looked them up, but I have never seen them since. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your postcard! Love that your friends had a portable coffee maker - looks interesting! The cake looks delicious - part of my fruit allowance for the day too! The beetle does look fascinating! Hope your computer troubles are sorted! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I have missed visiting your blog Lisca!
    I totally LOVE that post card, how clever.
    Your visitors sounded interesting and that coffee press was impressive!
    There has been a hiccup in our buyer's sale of his property, so I am breathing easier, but still packing things that can go in storage........just can't quite get rid of some of it yet...LOL! NO, I'm not packing any of my art/craft stuff until the finally day is in sight *grin*
    Computer problems seem to go in waves........such a nuisance! Glad to hear yours are on the mend.
    Happy T-day my friend

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a strange coffee maker..that bug looks like a butterfly or moth caterpillar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisca, I finally get why your handle is "scrapping cavewoman" - lol. That blackberry cream cheese crumb cake looks scrumptious.

    That black creature - ewww! I'm not a bug lover ;-)

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no idea what kind of bug that is Lisca but its quite pretty and unusual isn't it??? Coffee on the go!! Fabulous that you can go back packing and not have to do without your coffee..lol Happy T day!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Computer issues are just worse-and I have no idea how to fix anything when that happens-hope you get yours back soon.
    Loving the coffee grinder-maker-very cool-and perfect for on the go-I have not seen one like that either. Loving the flowers, and your cake sounds delicious.
    I am not familiar with that bug either--Love that postcard-too cool!! Happy T Day Hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a special time with your interesting visitors

    Love the postcard and the photographs and then the wonderful cake--yummy

    Have a very Happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems you had a good time when your friends visited, the coffee machine looked a good travelling item for coffee lovers. I really liked the look of your delicious cake and the great post card.
    Not sure I would like to see that beetle close too, they make me shiver, any size they may be.
    Hope your computer problems are all sorted now.
    Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Computers are marvelous when they work well, a nightmare of frustration when they don't! Hope things will be corrected and back to 100% soon. Love that postcard...perfect!!

    ReplyDelete